top of page

Common Causes of House Fires

House fire accidents are very common. According to the NFPA, there was around 490,500 house fires in the United States in the year 2020. House fires not only cause damages and monetary losses, but they also pose serious injury and death risks.

There are many causes of house fires, and most of them are due to carelessness or accidents. In this blog, we’ll see some of the most common causes of house fires. Understanding these causes can help us in being more precautionary and stay safe.

Causes of House Fires


Fires accidents due to cooking are one of the most prevalent types of home fires. According to NFPA, cooking causes 49% of house fire incidents.

Grease that overheats in an oven or on a stove is a common cause of cooking fires. When grease gets heated enough, it becomes very flammable and can spontaneously combust with or without direct contact with the flame. It's incredibly tough to put out grease fires once they've started.

Chimney Accidents

Chimneys are very popular and are used on a daily basis in homes in the winter season. Chimneys can result in house fires due to multiple reasons. Dirty chimneys with debris inside like twigs and leaves can catch fire, broken chimney liner or wall can result in heat escaping the chimney flue and getting to the flooring and walls of the house. These boards can heat up and catch fires since they aren’t resistant to heat.

Appliances and Equipment

Appliances and equipment like heaters, cloth dryers, and stoves are one of the leading causes of house fires if left turned on for a long amount of time without keeping a check on it.


Although candles aren’t very common anymore, they are still popular around holiday seasons like Christmas. Leaving a candle lit and unattended can cause it to burn excessively and the fire getting out of control.


The result of careless smoking habits is one of the most frequent causes of house fires. While smoking, it is not uncommon for people to fall asleep. The risk of setting fire to their chair, couch, or bed, can potentially result in death. Disposing of the ashes while it's still hot into a garbage can, where they can burn, is another potential hazard.

Use MgO Fire-Resistant Boards and Panels

Being careful against these things and taking precautions is one way of saving yourself from fire accidents. Taking precautions reduces the risk of fires, but doesn’t completely eliminate it. To save yourself and your family from any fire-related accidents, consider installing Magnesium Oxide boards. These boards are fire-resistant and can withstand a significant amount of heat for a long time.

If you’re looking for premium quality MgO boards for your home, MagMatrix Boards is the perfect place for you. We offer fire-resistant Magnesium Oxide boards and panels that can be used as wall panels,subfloor panels, and structural sheathing panels. Contact us now to learn more.

23 views0 comments


bottom of page